Friday, June 29, 2012

Research

So there was a problem when I decided to make this movie.  I had never thought about how to make a documentary before. Most of my work was music videos.  I knew how to make rappers from Tampa and Atlanta look cool, but I had no idea what was the history and ideology of making documentaries.  Luckily, I have UCF's Lisa Mills as a faculty advisor. She's an award winning filmmaker and big thinker on the subject of what is documentary filmmaking? This is a link to her latest movie...
https://vimeo.com/27645118
She pointed me in the direction of some research that over the next weeks and months I read...and read...and read...until I felt like a had a pretty good handle on things.   Other people must have felt that way too, because they asked me to teach a class on the history of documentary film production. Forgive me if some of the things I post in the future are alittle to film theory and not enough specifically related to the movie.  Please comment, or send me an email, if you'd like to know why I posted something or if the connection isn't clear, I'll be happy to explain further,  and honestly it does me the huge favor of helping me see when I need to crystalize my information.

No comments:

Post a Comment